1. Which of the following is NOT a white box technique?
a) Statement testing
b) Path testing
c) State transition testing
d) Data flow testing
2. Which of these activities provides the biggest potential cost saving from the use of CAST?
a) Test management
b) Test execution
c) Test design
d) Test planning
3. Which of the following would NOT normally form part of a test plan?
a) Features to be tested
c) Incident reports
4. What is the main difference between a walkthrough and an inspection?
a) A walkthrough is lead by the author, whilst an inspection is lead by a
b) An inspection has a trained leader, whilst a walkthrough has no
c) Authors are not present during inspections, whilst they are during
d) An inspection is lead by the author, whilst a walkthrough is lead by a
5. Which of the following is NOT true of test coverage criteria?
a) A measure of test coverage criteria is the percentage of user
b) Test coverage criteria can be measured in terms of items exercised
by a test suite.
c) A measure of test coverage criteria is the percentage of faults found.
d) Test coverage criteria are often used when specifying test
6. Which one of the following statements about system testing is NOT true?
a) System tests are often performed by independent teams.
b) Functional testing is used more than structural testing.
c) Faults found during system tests can be very expensive to fix.
d) End-users should be involved in system tests.
7. Which of the following characterizes the cost of faults?
a) They are easiest to find during system testing but the most
expensive to fix then.
b) They are cheapest to find in the early development phases and the
most expensive to fix in the latest test phases.
c) Faults are cheapest to find in the early development phases but the
most expensive to fix then.
d) Although faults are most expensive to find during early development
phases, they are cheapest to fix then.
8. Integration testing in the small:
a) Tests the individual components that have been developed.
b) Only uses components that form part of the live system.
c) Tests interactions between modules or subsystems.
d) Tests interfaces to other systems.
9. Alpha testing is:
a) Post-release testing by end user representatives at the developer’s
b) The first testing that is performed.
c) Pre-release testing by end user representatives at their sites.
d) Pre-release testing by end user representatives at the developer’s site.
10. An incident logging system
a) Is a valuable source of project information during testing if it contains all incidents
b) Is of limited value
c) Only records defects
d) Should be used only by the test team.
11. Increasing the quality of the software, by better development methods, will affect the time needed for testing (the test phases) by:
a) Reducing test time
b) Increasing test time
c) No change
d) Can’t say
12. Coverage measurement
a) Can only be applied at unit or module testing, not at system testing
b) Is a partial measure of test thoroughness
c) Branch coverage should be mandatory for all software
d) Is nothing to do with testing
13. What is the important criterion in deciding what testing technique to use?
a) How well you know a particular technique
b) How appropriate the technique is for testing the application
c) The objective of the test
d) Whether there is a tool to support the technique
14. A program with high cyclometic complexity is almost likely to be:
a) Difficult to test
c) Difficult to write
15. Given the following sets of test management terms (v-z), and activity descriptions (1-5), which one of the following best pairs the two sets?
v – Test control
w – Test monitoring
x – Test estimation
y – Incident management
z – Configuration control
1 – Calculation of required test resources
2 – Maintenance of record of test results
3 – Re-allocation of resources when tests overrun
4 – Report on deviation from test plan
5 – Tracking of anomalous test results
16. The oracle assumption:
a) Is that there is some existing system against which test output may
b) Is that the tests are reviewed by experienced testers.
c) Is that the tester knows everything about the software under test.
d) Is that the tester can routinely identify the correct outcome of a test.
17. Static analysis is best described as:
a) The analysis of batch programs.
b) The reviewing of test plans.
c) The use of black box testing.
d) The analysis of program code.
18. A failure is:
a) Found in the software; the result of an error.
b) A human action that produces an incorrect result.
c) An incorrect step, process or data definition in a computer program.
d) Departure from specified behavior.
19. The most important thing about early test design is that it:
a) Means inspections are not required.
b) Makes test preparation easier.
c) Can prevent fault multiplication.
d) Will find all faults.
20. Which of the following statements about reviews is true?
a) Reviews are the least effective way of testing code.
b) Reviews cannot be performed on user requirements specifications.
c) Reviews are unlikely to find faults in test plans.
d) Reviews should be performed on specifications, code, and test