Objective Questions on Software Testing
1. Which of the following is the odd one out?
a) White box
d) Glass box
2. Which of the following is a static test?
a) Coverage analysis
b) Code inspection
c) Usability assessment
d) Installation test
3. Which of the following is a black box design technique?
a) statement testing
b) error- guessing
c) equivalence partitioning
d) usability testing
4. Which of the following is not the integration strategy?
a) Design based
5. Which of the following is NOT a reasonable test objective:
a) To find faults in the software
b) To give confidence in the software
c) To prove that the software has no faults
d) To find performance problems
6. Which of the following uses Impact Analysis most?
a) Non-functional system testing
b) Component testing
c) User acceptance testing
d) Maintenance testing
7. Expected results are:
a) Only important in system testing
b) Most useful when specified in advance
c) Only used in component testing
d) Derived from the code
8. What type of review requires formal entry and exit criteria, including metrics?
a) Management review
d) Post project review
9. The difference between re-testing and regression testing is:
a) Re-testing ensures the original fault has been removed; regression
testing looks for unexpected side-effects
b) Re-testing looks for unexpected side-effects; regression testing
ensures the original fault has been removed
c) Re-testing is done by developers; regression testing is done by
d) Re-testing is done after faults are fixed; regression testing is done
10. Given the following types of tool, which tools would typically be used by developers, and which by an independent system test team?
i) static analysis
ii) performance testing
iii. test management
iv) dynamic analysis
a) Developers would typically use i and iv; test team ii and iii
b) Developers would typically use i and iii; test team ii and iv
c) Developers would typically use i, iii and iv; test team ii
d) Developers would typically use ii and iv; test team i and iii
11.Functional system testing is:
a) Testing that the system functions with other systems
b) Testing the end to end functionality of the system as a whole
c) Testing that the components that comprise the system function
d) Testing the system performs functions within specified response
12. Which of the following items would not come under Configuration Management?
a) Operating systems
b) Live data
c) Test documentation
d) User requirement documents
13. Incidents would not be raised against:
c) Improvements suggested by users
d) Test cases
14. Maintenance testing is:
a) Testing to maintain business advantage
b) Testing a released system that has been changed
c) Testing by users to ensure that the system meets a business need
d) Updating tests when the software has changed
15. Which of the following techniques is NOT a black box technique?
a) State transition testing
b) Syntax testing
d) Boundary value analysis
16. What can static analysis NOT find?
a) Memory leaks
b) Unreachable (“dead”) code
c) The use of a variable before it has been defined
d) Array bound violations
17. Which of the following is likely to benefit most from the use of test tools providing test capture and replay facilities?
a) Integration testing
b) Regression testing
c) System testing
d) User acceptance testing
18. Which of the following requirements is testable?
a) The system shall be user friendly.
b) The response time shall be less than one second for the specified
c) The safety-critical parts of the system shall contain 0 faults.
d) The system shall be built to be portable.
19.. In prioritizing what to test, the most important objective is to:
a) Test high risk areas.
b) Find as many faults as possible.
c) Obtain good test coverage.
d) Test whatever is easiest to test.
20. Which of the following is false?
a) An incident can be raised against documentation.
b) An incident occurs when expected and actual results differ.
c) Incidents can be analysed to assist in test process improvement.
d) Incidents should always be fixed.